Friday, February 1, 2008

Music

I was not prepared for the comments I have received due to my post on "Preferences". Folks, please read the post again without inserting your bias. I am not saying that we should only use contemporary music to worship God. That is not the point.

In fact the point I was trying to make in this post, has been unwittingly reinforced by those who thought they were making negative comments about it. My point is this. Why do we have such "lightning rods" in the church today? We spend waaaayyyy too much time discussing whether to sing Isaac Watts, Fanny Crosy, or Chris Tomlin in church, and waaaayyyy too little discussing how to reach the lost.

Paul believd in reaching a lost world for Christ in any way he could. I think we should do the same.

16For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! 17For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. 18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. 19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you. (1 Corinthians 9:16-23 KJV)





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor, Yes unfortunately whenyou speak of "music" you open a can of worms. I have been in Music ministry for 15 years and have faced this struggle. The scriptures are very vague when it talks about music. there are no notes or scales for us to go by to know what music is to be used. I believe that the reason is was that the emphasis is that we worship God "in spirit and truth" worship is "our response to all that God is with all that we are"; it has little to do with the music. Music is a tool we use to worship. We are to, as you quoted, "be all things to all people" Jesus, told that we are to be "salt and light" to be "in the world" whicjh means we are not to pull out into our "holy huddles" but to be actively seeking those who will worship in spirit and truth. David danced before the ark and the queen rebuked him, David was known as "a man after God's own heart" while Michal remained barren.