Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Higher Definition

Just before football season this past fall, we had a tragedy occur in our home. My large television in the living room stopped working. This was the TV that I watched most football games on, the one that I would fall asleep in front of, and the one where we had our family movie nights. My first impulse was to immediately replace it, but when we saw how much televisions sell for now, my wife and I decided to wait. Between that time and January we had four family birthdays and Christmas to think about paying for. Besides, we also had a smaller one in the master bedroom, and one in the kid’s playroom.

We made it through the holidays, and I was actually getting used to the idea of not having a TV in the living room. Then, just as Christmas was over, the TV in the bedroom went out. No response at all. I tried CPR, but there was no longer any life in it. Now all we had was a very small television that the kids use in the playroom. I actually watched the San Diego Chargers beat the Indianapolis Colts on that TV while lying on the floor.

This past Saturday, I decided I was going to purchase one of those new flat screen high definition televisions. My wife knew how frustrated I was, so she graciously did not protest. I did my research and finally found one that would fit our entertainment center and our budget. When we turned it on, I was excited. The Philadelphia Eagles and the Minnesota Vikings had one more quarter left in the game. I was going to have the privilege of watching the fourth quarter in HD.

However, my wife and I stared at the screen in disbelief. The picture was not any better than our old TV. In fact some things looked a little distorted and fuzzy. We played with the settings and made it a little better, but not much. How incredibly frustrating! We spent that much money on a TV that looks no better than our old tube TV? We were ready to take it back, but a thought occurred to me. Perhaps we need to let the satellite company know that we need an HD signal.

I called the satellite company and they informed me that I need to add HD to my program package (which is $9.99 per month), a new HD capable receiver, AND a new dish that can receive the signal from out in space somewhere. The receiver is another hundred bucks, but at least the new dish and installation is free. By the end of the week we’ll be poor, but our TV should be looking great!

You can do everything possible to make yourself look as good to the world as you can. You can be kind to babies, puppies and the elderly; you can go to church every week, you can even put money in the offering plate, but if you are doing any of this for your own glory you are only a fuzzy distorted image of what God intended. In order for us to be effective in spreading God’s love to others, we must connect to the source.

The Holy Spirit is like the satellite dish and receiver all in one. God may be sending His message to us, but we cannot properly receive or interpret it without the help of the Holy Spirit. How do we get the Holy Spirit? We must accept Jesus Christ as the ruler over our lives. When we do, God provides His Holy spirit to help us and guide us. Rely on God’s Holy Spirit to bring God’s “higher definition” message to your life.

You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.(Acts 1:8 NIV)

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. (2 Peter 1:3-4 NIV)

No comments: