Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Always Feel Like, Somebodys Watching Me!


Since we had been snowed in for almost a week, my family decided last Thursday night it was time to go out to eat in Augusta. I had been craving some good wings, so we decided to go to Wild Wings on Washington Rd. We went early, before the “bar crowd” got there.

My kids love the place. They enjoy the fact that they can watch all those TVs at one time. They also really like the food.

While we were eating, I noticed two people coming by our table with what looked to be a television camera. When they passed, I saw that it was from WJBF news. I wondered what in the world they were doing in Wild Wings.

I didn’t think much about it until Friday morning. I always check out the news on my computer every morning, and seeing WJBF as a bookmarked page reminded me of the camera I saw the night before. I clicked on the website, and looked for a story that might include something about eating wings. I saw a line that read, “Falcon’s Fever Rising in Augusta.” I thought it might be a story that would be covered in a place like Wild Wings. I was right.

With the online story, there was a video from Thursday night’s broadcast. I clicked on it to watch it. In the introduction to the story, the anchor talked about the bars in Augusta getting ready for the big game between the Atlanta Falcons and the Green Bay Packers. The next thing I see is a brief statement from the manager of Wild Wings and then a shot of me and my family at a table.

Now, I don’t go to bars, but I do love some good wings. However, the video seemed to put me in a “bar” that was getting ready for all the customers they will have for the Falcons game. I laughed out loud when I saw it.

I thought it was funny because I was there with my family, simply eating supper and I was doing nothing I wouldn’t want anyone to know about. But what if I had been? What if I had been sitting there with someone other than my wife? What if I had decided to sneak down to Augusta to drink adult beverages, thinking no one would know? I would still have been on television for everyone to see.

I had no idea the camera had even captured that moment. I was just being myself, with my family. I was not posing or posturing to make sure I put forth the proper persona. I was just relaxing and having supper.

Who are you when no one is looking? If a television camera followed you throughout a typical day, what would the world see? Would you want everyone to see your actions and hear your words?

It has been said that character is who you are when there’s no one around. As believers in Christ, we must realize that there is always someone who is around. Christ never leaves us. He knows our every word, action, motivation, and thought. Pretty scary huh? Not really. You see, He loves us. He wants us to do the right things, but still loves us just as much when we fail. Have you failed today? There is good news. God loves you and forgives you.

So, the next time you think no one is watching, remember that God is always there, and there also just might also be a news crew lurking around the corner!!

(BTW...Hello to my friends at WJBF. I sent an email about what happened to them. The whole newsroom got a pretty good laugh at my expense. Thank you for all you do guys!)

O LORD, You have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, You know it altogether…Where shall I go from Your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there! (Psalm 139:1-4, 7-8 ESV)


No comments: